Pocoyo and Earth Day ... We Can All Use the Help
To promote POCOYO’s Earth Hour initiatives, there is a new POCOYO DVD, FUN & GAMES. The DVD, which will be released on April 3 SRP: $12.99, features POCOYO, the fun-loving, curious little boy with a big personality. Watch as he explores, plays games and has fun with his friends Pato, Elly, Loula and Sleepy Bird. Viewers can join them as they stage their own version of the Olympics, create a magic show and ride the new, big, scary slide in the playground.
Broxton has really enjoyed this DVD, I hate to admit it, but I get a bit lost in their accent... (I guess that is what you call it?) All I know, is as soon as it starts, I clean or do things around the house... He sits and has rest time and seems to zone out to the television. He was in there trying to tell me something about Pocoyo, but I just could not get what he was telling me. Once things get a bit back to normal, I plan to attempt to watch this with him, but until then... With Earth Day being March 31st, I wanted to go ahead and share a few Earth Hour Activities that was sent to me... Let me know if you plan on doing anything special that day! Have a great day and don't forget the new Pocoyo DVD is available to own on April 3rd!
WHAT ARE YOU WILLING TO DO TO HELP THE PLANET? IT’S TIME FOR FUN & GAMES WITH POCOYO IN SUPPORT OF EARTH HOUR 2012 ON MARCH 31, 2012
Show how much YOU love the earth and POCOYO by hosting a special POCOYO FUN & GAMES Earth Hour Party on Saturday March 31 from 8.30p.m. to 9:30p.m. local time. To get started on hosting your own POCOYO FUN & GAMES Earth Hour Party, here are some easy tips for planning the perfect Earth-friendly party:
- Make invitations out of recycled paper or send an email invite.
- Use organic and locally sustained food.
- Serve finger foods to skip using plates and utensils, and use cloth napkins that can be washed and used again.
- Make dishes that don’t require the oven or electricity to prepare.
- Be creative with food, ie, licorice ends can be cut off to make edible straws for the kids.
- Family craft project – try making the special Keepsake holder out of an old cereal box (see instructions below).
- Have a nighttime, outdoor, eco-friendly scavenger hunt by flashlight - hunt for recyclable items like milk cartons, egg cartons, etc. Once the items are found, explain how they are used for recycling and to save our environment.
- Have a recycled book exchange for the kids and adults, instead of favors.
- Have fun and remember to have enough candles and flashlights for everyone to see!
As part of the new 2012 Earth Hour campaign, Zinkia Entertainment introduced POCOYO’s Recycling Game, available through www.pocoyo.com, Earth Hour’s website (www.earthhour.org) and the Official POCOYO Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/
pocoyo). POCOYO pledged to plant one tree, up to 10,000 trees, for everyone who played the new POCOYO Recycling Game. The goal was reached in record time so Zinkia’s Chairman pledged to plant more trees, up to 10,000, for each person who played the recycle game. And, that goal was reached too in just a few days! The game has been so popular that Pocoyo has brought his challenge to entirely new level! NOW, if 100,000 people play Pocoyo's Recycle Game, Pocoyo will plant a total of 50,000 trees! The trees will be planted by Trees for the Future, Zinkia’s charity partner whose mission for 2012 is to plant 17 million trees! You can also plant trees (.10 cents/tree) for Earth Hour by visiting http://www.plant-trees.org.
What would you be willing to do to help save the planet? Visit the YouTube Earth Hour Challenge and see what you can do to help save the planet. One brave person is willing to shave their head if 5000 people sign on to Earth Hour. Another says she’ll wear whatever her daughter tells her to if 5000 commit to recycling in 2012. ----- “take up the challenge” at http://www.youtube.com/
earthhour and post YOUR own challenge.
POCOYO will be also be featuredin a new Public Service Announcement which will air on TV and online, and there are special POCOYO Earth Hour activity booklets available for downloading, as well as POCOYO Earth Hour screensavers and wallpapers for FREE at http://www.POCOYO.com/earth_
Earth Hour 2012 takes place Saturday March 31 from 8.30p.m. to 9:30p.m. local time as individuals, businesses, governments and communities are invited to turn out their lights for one hour to show their support for environmentally sustainable action. This single moment of contemplation for the planet unites hundreds of millions of people each year in celebration of their year-round commitment to protect and preserve the planet.
Here are some “green” tips -----:
- 1. Turn off lights and all electronics when you leave a room to conserve energy
- 2. Turn off lights and appliances at the wall when not in use
- 3. Switch to energy-efficient light bulbs
- 4. Use rechargeable batteries in toys
- 5. Say no to disposable plastic water bottles and use refillable stainless steel alternatives
- 6. Use dish towels instead of paper towels
- 7. Don’t use disposable plates, utensils or napkins
- 8. If you have stuff you no longer need, instead of throwing them away, minimize yourwaste footprint and donate to a charity or use a service that allows items to be donated or recycled such as www.palcycle.com
- 9. Use the sunlight to warm up a room by keeping the blind and drapes open
- 10. Close drapes and blinds when it’s too hot to keep a room cool
- 11. Plant Native plants that require less water, care & maintenance
- 12. Grow your own fruits & vegetables
- 13. Start a compost
- 14. Have a candlelight “family hour” at least once a week & play board games in lieu of TV.
- 15. Ask kids to help sort the recycling and explain how this help to reduce waste
- 16. Reduce your water use -- Take shorter showers, turn off the tap when brushing your teeth, install water saving shower-heads and dual-flush toilets, repair dripping taps – all these things add up!
- 1. Walk, use a bicycle or take public transportation
- 2. Car pool to school and/or work
- 3. Take a reusable cloth bag when you go shopping
- 4. Buy local, seasonal produce and avoid unnecessarily packaged goods
- 5. Choose Fair Trade products
- 6. Share your “green tips” with friends
What else can you do to get involved?
- 1. Play the POCOYO Recycling Game
- 2. LIKE POCOYO on Facebook www.facebook.com/pocoyo
- 3. FOLLOW POCOYO on Twitter www.twitter.com/pocoyo_us
- 4. LIKE Earth Hour on Facebook www.facebook.com/earthhour
- 5. FOLLOW Earth Hour on Twitter @earthhour
- 6. Watch POCOYO’s Earth Hour http://www.youtube.com/watch?
- 7. Follow NCircle Entertainment on Twitter @ncircle
- 8. LIKE NCircle Entertainment on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/
- 9. Follow Trees for the Future Org on Twitter @treesftf
- 10. Follow palcycle.com on Twitter @palcycle